Microsoft Dynamics 365 combines intelligent business applications that link up all your business processes and improve performance by transforming accurate information. Your cloud-based end-to-end business apps integrate ERP, CRM, and Business Intelligence on a single platform, allowing you to develop and expand at your speed. Integrating business apps, Power Platform (Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, and RPA), Office 365, and IoT services on a single powerful Azure cloud platform put you ahead of the competition.
Testing requirements for Microsoft Dynamics 365:
Manual testing identifies new systems’ issues, whereas automated testing facilitates the identification of regression issues. Testing also contributes to the usability of the Dynamics 365 applications, which should benefit stakeholders all around – from developers to end users. Below are the points that need to consider while testing.
- Do these new configurations satisfy the requirements of the customer?
- Have these improvements brought regression concerns to the old system?
- Have we correctly documented the process?
- Is the application still working after Microsoft update
Automation Testing requirements in Microsoft Dynamics 365:
Regression testing is the process of re-running previously created and tested software to confirm that they continue to work as expected after the change or upgrade. If done manually, it is a highly time-consuming operation. The test automation is used to strengthen regression testing. Automated tests are reusable, version controlled, and may be run at any time as part of CI/CD pipelines or scheduled activities. When we automate testing in CRM microsoft Dynamics 365, the tests are run by a system, which speeds up the process and eliminates the risk of human mistakes.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 challenges during Automation testing
- Dynamics 365 products are sophisticated online apps with Nested iFrames, Deep object trees, and Dynamic IDs for child windows, making it more complex to work on Automation testing.
- Automation testers spend considerable time and energy determining the best locator technique to find the appropriate element in the application to perform the action. During execution, finding the controls/UI elements takes a long time, resulting in script failure.
- The UI standard of Dynamics 365 applications changes per version. A designer resource cannot be locked into the GUI for all application versions by an automation engineer. To maintain testing for each performance, modifications to the locator strategy and the Object Repository (OR) are required.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Best Practices during Automation testing
- An automation engineer requires a strategic approach with a clear vision of the configurable features before testing the Dynamics 365 application. This enables you to focus on the custom-designed code, configurable entities, and locations, verifying the same quality. This strategy should emphasize functional, visual display, regression, localization, and system testing.
- The automation framework should be scalable, flexible, and durable. Test design patterns that enhance the reusability of application-specific business actions and the “Write Once, Run Anywhere” approach must be followed.
- The framework should enable automated tests in multiple environments such as QA, development, staging, etc.
- The tester should maintain versions of the script for each application to establish a robust configuration management strategy.
There is no or very less code tools are available in the market which enables to create, automate, and maintain test cases for Dynamics 365 apps to make automated test cases easier and much more robust. It provides a simple set of instructions for quickly and easily building up UI tests. Below are a few Test automation tools that are compatible with testing for Dynamics 365.
1. Microsoft EasyRepro
Microsoft designed EasyRepro to enable Dynamics customers the option to perform automated UI testing for their organisation. It provides a simple set of commands for quickly and simply building up UI tests. The offered capability covers the CRM commands that end users would perform on a regular workday, and Microsoft is working to expand that coverage to include additional functionality.
It is open-source tool developed using Selenium WebDriver which is widely used across industry, and it support the .Net framework.
Leapwork is a no-code automation platform that makes unluck a new mindset for automation testing. It is simple to create and maintain test automations. It has drag-and-drop components for creating automation tests. It is built on from the Selenium to automate the webservice and websites. It supports MS Dynamics 365, Salesforce, and SAP.
TestModeller is a browser-based solution it generates tests, automation and data from easy-to-use flowcharts and Generate test cases automatically from the model, optimising testing for time and risk. Automated tests can be run on open source, commercial, or customized frameworks. Flowcharts can be created using a variety of drag-and-drop importers and accelerators, and test cases can be automatically generated. Many different programming languages and automation frameworks are supported by Test Modeller, including web apps, mobile apps, API testing, performance testing, and database validation. TestModeller.io also provides a UI Recorder as a Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer extension.
4. Executive Automats
Executive Automats is also no-code based automate system built to simplify MS Dynamics AX/365/CRM deployments and improve testing quality and accuracy The platform protects essential business processes from failures during the continuous software development lifecycle and application updates. It also supports SharePoint, SAP and Outlook.
Test automation is essential for providing quick results for QA while following to proper testing procedures and requirements. These criteria, however, may differ depending on the application type, technology employed, and automation tools used. However, planning of time may save a lot of time and work, making automation easier. It also cuts down on maintenance and makes these scripts usable in the long run with few modifications. Before starting a project, we always recommend thoroughly researching numerous tools and finalize the tool which is best suitable for your project.